M7349- Pattern Hack for Wovens

Usually I’m a good rule-follower, especially when it comes to sewing. If a pattern tells me to use a knit fabric, I use a knit fabric, because I know that if I don’t I won’t be able to get the dress on. However, in the case of McCall’s 7349, I decided it might be pretty easy to modify it for wovens. Yes, I know- it seems like the next sentence should be, I woefully underestimated the difficulty of pattern modification. Actually, it was far from the hardest or most frustrating sewing thing I’ve ever done- it was actually easy and fun, and my finished dress is made of woven fabrics!

DSC_0009

The back of the dress is one piece of fabric cut on the fold, so to modify it all I had to do was trace the pattern (I actually just cut it out with my rotary cutter) and add 5/8″ to the edge that would be placed on the fold. When I cut it out I didn’t cut it on the fold, so I had two separate pieces. Then, after I’d sewn the side pieces to the front and to each of the back pieces, I sewed the back pieces together and inserted a 22″ zipper into the seam. The only other pattern modification I did was add 5/8″ to the neckband, which I did cut on the fold.  When it was time to sew it on I folded the right sides together, sewed each short side, turned it right side out and pressed it. I then sewed it on and added a hook and eye to the back side of it.

DSC_0016

I love the shape of this dress, and I’m glad I chose to use a different fabric for the sleeves. I’m definitely planning to make it again!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s