This is my new favorite skirt! Wanting to try my hand at making a circle skirt, I found green woven fabric in the stash my mom and I share, and while I intended the garment as a test, the fabric is soft and light, and I’ve worn it at least four times already!
Continue reading “Circle Skirt”
I made this skirt last year, barely wore it, tossed it into my summer clothes bin when it got cold, and pretty much forgot about it. When summer rolled around again, I pulled it out of my bin and realized that it’s actually pretty nice!
I used a pattern from Alison Smith’s book Dressmaking. It has a side lapped zipper, which was one of the first zippers I’d ever sewn, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. The above-knee length is perfect, and the skirt goes well with the white shirt I made recently. It’s perfect for dressing either up or down, and I’ve worn it both as an everyday skirt and as an outfit for Mass!
Tip for sewing with white fabric: be really careful not to stab yourself with a pin. I may have done that while sewing this shirt. Thankfully, I only got a tiny bit of blood on the shirt and it’s not noticeable. Oops.
I made this shirt to go with several of my dressier skirts so I could have an entirely me-made ensemble to wear to Mass or special occasions.
Continue reading “B6215- Dressy White Shirt”
In the summertime, I wear shorts every day. Therefore, I knew I would need a few pairs if I was going to try to make my whole wardrobe. So far I’ve made two pairs, using this tutorial from Melly Sews.
Continue reading “Shorts!”
One of my sewing goals for this summer was to make a pair of warm-weather pajamas. The nightgown I made a few years ago is starting to get holes in it… It’s well used, apparently. This pair of pajamas sort of fell into my lap when my mom started making the top, making an adjustment to the shoulders. This adjustment made the neckline too constricting for her liking, so I decided that I would finish the pajamas for myself, because I love the fabric.
Continue reading “M7297 Pajamas”
Have you ever made a mistake on a project so bad that you thought it was irreparable? That’s what happened to me with this dress. It was originally a muslin for a semiformal dress (M6953) I was making for a school dance, and I was making it out of a nice peach- colored cotton. After making enough to ensure that it fit, I put it aside for my fancy dress. After a few months, I decided to pull it out again and finish it. Continue reading “M6953: Peach Dress”
On Wednesday, I posted about my M7349 pattern hack, so now I’m sharing the original dress I made from the pattern- the one where I followed the rules!
I made this dress for my school’s Sadie Hawkins dance (I was so excited to have an occasion to make another dress!), and I used a scuba knit. The pattern is just so pretty, and I love how it feels.
The other part of this project was the shoes. A few months ago, I found a pattern for sewing shoes- that’s right, sewing shoes! I decided that I should make shoes to match the dress even before I found the fabric, and when I was fabric shopping I found linen in the same print as the scuba knit! It was really awesome, since of course the shoe pattern uses a woven fabric. Here’s how they look:
The shoes were easy to make, and people were amazed. I had such a fun time at the dance, and I also wore the outfit for Easter. I’m looking forward to wearing it many more times this summer!
Usually I’m a good rule-follower, especially when it comes to sewing. If a pattern tells me to use a knit fabric, I use a knit fabric, because I know that if I don’t I won’t be able to get the dress on. However, in the case of McCall’s 7349, I decided it might be pretty easy to modify it for wovens. Yes, I know- it seems like the next sentence should be, I woefully underestimated the difficulty of pattern modification. Actually, it was far from the hardest or most frustrating sewing thing I’ve ever done- it was actually easy and fun, and my finished dress is made of woven fabrics!
The back of the dress is one piece of fabric cut on the fold, so to modify it all I had to do was trace the pattern (I actually just cut it out with my rotary cutter) and add 5/8″ to the edge that would be placed on the fold. When I cut it out I didn’t cut it on the fold, so I had two separate pieces. Then, after I’d sewn the side pieces to the front and to each of the back pieces, I sewed the back pieces together and inserted a 22″ zipper into the seam. The only other pattern modification I did was add 5/8″ to the neckband, which I did cut on the fold. When it was time to sew it on I folded the right sides together, sewed each short side, turned it right side out and pressed it. I then sewed it on and added a hook and eye to the back side of it.
I love the shape of this dress, and I’m glad I chose to use a different fabric for the sleeves. I’m definitely planning to make it again!
Welcome! I’m so happy that you chose to read my blog, and I hope it’ll be an educational experience, as opposed to mind-numbing Internet time-wasting. I’m a teenage girl who loves sewing and other textile arts and reads way too many sewing blogs. In creating my own blog, I hope to inspire teenagers as well as adults to sew and improve their sewing skills. My personal goal is to sew all of my own clothes, and although I still have a lot to learn to reach my goal I want to share my sewing journey with you! I think it can sometimes be hard to find projects geared specifically for teenagers, or modest clothing patterns for certain garments, and as a teenager myself I want to try to fill that void by finding projects that any teenager could make and use or wear. I’ll aim to post about my past and recent sewing projects, and posts about my other hobbies- crocheting, music, reading- might sneak in too.