This is my third winter semi-formal dress. Who doesn’t need three dresses, right? I made this over Christmas break. Now, of course, I had to come up with a legitimate reason to make another dress, so I decided I would wear it to my school’s Latin Mass and Glee Club Concert. The pattern is Vogue 1542.
My favorite parts of making this pattern were pleating the sleeves and making the neckline decoration. I think that’s definitely the part of the dress that got the most attention. It was actually pretty satisfying to turn the tubes inside out and it wasn’t too hard to make the leaves and attach everything to the dress.
I love the asymetrical flounce, too! I think that, and the sleeves, give the dress enough interest that it could definitely be made without the neckline decoration for a slightly less fancy dress. As per some blog posts I read, I lengthened the lining, which worked out well.
The dress fit fairly well in the front, but the back was much too big. I took in the princess seams a bit, and put in darts. Naturally, a better solution would’ve been to make a muslin to assess fit issues before making the real thing- and to make the seam allowance larger on the zipper- but since I didn’t make a muslin I added the darts. I know, I know- always make a muslin- but, well, I… Okay, I had no excuse. I just wanted to get started right away on the real thing.
Personally, as I was making the dress it reminded me of C-3PO, but that might’ve been because we watched all eight Star Wars movies over Christmas break 😉 I got lots of compliments on it and it was so much fun to wear! I seem to be attracted to flashy things for formal dresses- vivid red, sequins, gold- unlike my personality, but I love it!
Hello! Fun fact: my New Year’s resolution was to blog more often. Here it is, March, and I’m blogging about a dress I made in December. Oh, well. At least I’m blogging.
Continue reading “Semi Dress 2017”
Have you ever made a mistake on a project so bad that you thought it was irreparable? That’s what happened to me with this dress. It was originally a muslin for a semiformal dress (M6953) I was making for a school dance, and I was making it out of a nice peach- colored cotton. After making enough to ensure that it fit, I put it aside for my fancy dress. After a few months, I decided to pull it out again and finish it. Continue reading “M6953: Peach Dress”
On Wednesday, I posted about my M7349 pattern hack, so now I’m sharing the original dress I made from the pattern- the one where I followed the rules!
I made this dress for my school’s Sadie Hawkins dance (I was so excited to have an occasion to make another dress!), and I used a scuba knit. The pattern is just so pretty, and I love how it feels.
The other part of this project was the shoes. A few months ago, I found a pattern for sewing shoes- that’s right, sewing shoes! I decided that I should make shoes to match the dress even before I found the fabric, and when I was fabric shopping I found linen in the same print as the scuba knit! It was really awesome, since of course the shoe pattern uses a woven fabric. Here’s how they look:
The shoes were easy to make, and people were amazed. I had such a fun time at the dance, and I also wore the outfit for Easter. I’m looking forward to wearing it many more times this summer!
Usually I’m a good rule-follower, especially when it comes to sewing. If a pattern tells me to use a knit fabric, I use a knit fabric, because I know that if I don’t I won’t be able to get the dress on. However, in the case of McCall’s 7349, I decided it might be pretty easy to modify it for wovens. Yes, I know- it seems like the next sentence should be, I woefully underestimated the difficulty of pattern modification. Actually, it was far from the hardest or most frustrating sewing thing I’ve ever done- it was actually easy and fun, and my finished dress is made of woven fabrics!
The back of the dress is one piece of fabric cut on the fold, so to modify it all I had to do was trace the pattern (I actually just cut it out with my rotary cutter) and add 5/8″ to the edge that would be placed on the fold. When I cut it out I didn’t cut it on the fold, so I had two separate pieces. Then, after I’d sewn the side pieces to the front and to each of the back pieces, I sewed the back pieces together and inserted a 22″ zipper into the seam. The only other pattern modification I did was add 5/8″ to the neckband, which I did cut on the fold. When it was time to sew it on I folded the right sides together, sewed each short side, turned it right side out and pressed it. I then sewed it on and added a hook and eye to the back side of it.
I love the shape of this dress, and I’m glad I chose to use a different fabric for the sleeves. I’m definitely planning to make it again!